I pulled it off, quietly. It was not so bad. I did not collapse under the weight. My adorable people voted for homemade pizza for dinner. ("Something we can make together, put our energy into it," says Brian.) It was hearty, delicious, and eaten by candlelight.

I set up a little altar in the dining room, and Lilly contributed some love doodles.

Lilly also picked out a balloon to release. I was bound and determined to do a balloon release from our big backyard. But all afternoon the rain came down, all night the wind howled, truly, like a banshee. But in the morning we had a patch of blue sky, and Lilly woke me up, and we got our balloon airborne (and then stuck in a tree, and then stuck in another tree, and then airborne again!). Such is the way of balloons.On the other side of our meal I feel better. This was a big reminder of why rituals are so important. It's because they work. They get the job done. No matter what happens for the rest of the weekend, my baby has been remembered and honored by the people who love her most, knew her the best. And I feel good about having done something good for both kids.
Although Angel's birthday is officially tomorrow (she was born 1 second after midnight), today is the one year anniversary of the worst thing ever. I'm staying in, laying low, drinking cocoa, watching the snow. Thank you all for the suggestions and love and listening in these hard days. It means so much to me to have a space to share words freely with those who understand.
10 comments:
Jenni, thinking of you and a tiny pocket of blue sky. May you have peace and strength today (or tears and time to settle into whatever come or whatever it is you need for your baby girl's day).
Sending love to you all, and remebering sweet Angel Mae.
xo
Pizza, perfect idea.
Thinking of you, sending love and peace and remembering Angel Mae.
xxx
Those photos are wonderful, Jenni. They look like Love.
Thinking of Angel Mae xx
Remembering Angel Mae tonight.
Lighting a candle for the first time in a long time, and sighing for all we have lost. xo
Thinking of you and your whole family and how Angel Mae is right at the center of it with you, especially today.
-C.
Thinking of you, Brian, Lilly and Angel Mae. You are loved and remembered, sweet baby.
love and hugs Mom
Remembering Angel Mae and sending you all warm love.
Angel Mae has been remembered and honoured with so much love. Your little altar bought tears to my eyes.
I love the photograph of Brian and Lilly.
Thinking of you and your sweet girl today. xo
Post a Comment